Thursday, November 6, 2008

Should we move?

So I know its been a long long time since I last wrote. But thats about how much free time I have. Kinda sad huh?

Anyway, so whats new with us? Well, first off, we got a new dog. Dakota. Its a purebred Miniature American Alaskan husky. We got it from a friend of mine cause they didn't have room for it. And us living on a farm... we have the room. He liked our other dog Skamper, but we have some bad news. We had to put Skamper down. She got 6 of the farmers piglets. Before last springer she got our 3 ducks and 7 chickens, but those were ours and she is a hunting dog, so we figured we'd let that slide. But pigs are bigger and don't have wings. Josh was sad, but it had to be done.

Besides that, we are experimenting on a bathroom here. Feeling guilty about the pigs, we decided we'd help out old Robert and do some work for him. He has been meaning for over a year now to fix a shower that caved in, in one of the bathrooms. Well, We are tiling it for him. Its not that big and once its done, it will be nice cause then we can have guests and not have them come into our bedroom and bathroom to shower. Then 2 of the 3 bathrooms here will be fully functioning... :D

Oh, so back to the question... Should Josh and I move to Fiji?

Here's the background. Josh has a guy in his unit that lives down there. He partly owns a big resort there and told Josh he could have a job if he wants it. He could do anything he wanted. He wants to be a Scuba Diving teacher. He just has to get certified, but that's easy.

He could also be a tour guide, and lead people on hikes or if he could get his pilots license, fly people who want to go sky diving. I could see Josh doing this all, and he would be good at it.

So here's the twist. Josh has now had his business for a little over a year (roofing), and he has been steady with that. But he only has like 3 jobs left and he is worried about having work for the winter. And now that Obama is president, we will probably loose it due to tax increasing and being forced to provide insurance to employees. Also with the economy the way it is, no one can afford to have their roofs redone, or they choose to go the cheap way and do it themselves.

I think it would be fun to move there, but only for like 2 or 3 years... I wouldn't want to go through the hassel of having kids in a foriegn country and half way around the world (FYI Fiji is North of Austrailia). I think my parents would hate to have their first grandkid so far away and so would Josh's parents.

So ya, what do you think? I have a poll on the side...

7 comments:

Candice said...

Hey Kara. That's a pretty difficult decision and I'm sorry I've got no advice for you. Perhaps going there for 2 or 3 years? With Obama in office, that might be best, but what do I know. Shalum's a miner, so who knows if he'll still have a job after Obama starts taxing the mines hard. We also just bought a house a year and a half ago, so if Shalum is able to keep his job, we'll be stuck in this house a lot longer than we planned.

Melanee said...

Kara! Go for it! I would do anything for a chance like this. You can always come back and pick up the business again later, but a chance like this doesn't come along every day! Go have fun. See the world, and do something you will enjoy! Can we come visit?

RiLe said...

Go for it. You'll only live once. You can always come back if it doesn't work out.

Rog said...

Hey Kara
Man I don't know what to tell you? It's scary but exciting at the same time. Maybe pray about it. And good luck it was fun seeing what you are up to. Bye bye

Potters said...

Maybe you should do it for the winter and come back in the summer? I know my mom would kill me if I moved that far away. Just follow what you know is the right decision.

Rappleye Family said...

Hey Kara I need your email address? Do you just use the one I already have? I am making our blog private so lemee know if you want an inviation! thanks

Ashleigh said...

Wow! That was way exciting to read! Ummm... I say move for financial reasons, BUT stay for your family. Yeah, that's not much help huh!? It would be an awesome experience if you went to Fiji, but then you have to deal with moving everything there and then back again. But anyhow, WOW! You have one interesting life *envied*
Good luck with your decision!